-->

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Strength of Mind & Catch-up

"If you are going to win, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You’ve always got to make the mind take over and keep going." George S. Patton, a U.S. Army General & 1912 Olympian

Not much more to say about this than what it says, except that I am living proof of this very fact.  Everything about my body is in direct opposition to a typical triathlete.  There is really no physical reason why I should be able to make it through a 70.3.  I'm not built for speed, anyone can tell you that, but I'm strong physically and mentally -- probably my two biggest assets.

There I said something nice about myself. :)  Good deed for the day.

So I'm on day 24 of my Paleo eating and I'm down another lb. this week, for a total of 6.  The weight loss is great, but what is really awesome is how much better I am feeling.  My sleep is better, I wake up more refreshed, and seemingly have more energy to give to early-morning workouts.  I haven't really noticed any hormonal differences, but I hope that's just yet to come. 

There are a couple things I want to get better about:  I'd love to get used to drinking black coffee.  The only dairy left in my diet is the cream for my coffee.  The other thing is sleep.  I want to start getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep, preferably 8.  That means going to bed at about 8:30pm, since I get up at 4:20 most days. I'm not certain either of these things can happen routinely. 

I don't really miss the dairy, gluten, beans, soy and peanuts, but I have to have my meals planned out so I'm prepared.  I can see where this can be an easy downfall.  A typical day looks like this:

Breakfast
2 eggs with Turkey Bacon and Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potatoes
Organic Cream for Coffee

AM Snack
(On Days I eat super early or have a lunch workout, I snack)
1/2 Apple, 10 Almonds

Lunch
Broccoli Slaw Mix with Chicken Breast, Strawberries, Slivered Almonds
Organic Poppy Seed Dressing
1/2 Sweet Potato

PM Snack
Celery sticks w/Almond Butter or maybe the other half of the apple and Almond butter

Dinner
Meat and Veggie

One of the other challenges is finding stuff without Soy in it.  Soy Lecithin is in damn near everything!  I think I found some great macadamia nuts, and I check the label.  BOOM!  Ruined with soy added.  It's probably my single biggest frustration with eating this way.

I went to a food talk my chiro was hosting last week; tons of good info.  Specifically, she spoke about the importance of sleep.  Of course I've read everywhere how important it is for recovery.  I get that.  What I didn't know was the results of an interesting study.  They took folks, changed nothing about their diet or activity level.  Only made sure they were getting 8 hours of sleep, and they lost weight.  Our bodies take care of some hormonal homework while we're sleeping, so if we're not getting that sleep, we're interrupting the process!  Anyway, I thought it was interesting.  

My swims have been going well and I'm feeling pretty good in the water again -- although MC told me I'm crossing over on my stroke a bit, "We need to correct that." 

Running has been getting better and it seems that returning to the more cushioned shoe is helping my hip.  The hip isn't perfect yet, but it's definitely getting better.  The last two weeks after 2+ hours of spinning, I was able to pull out a 11:50ish mile on the last mile of each of the runs. It feels so good to see numbers like that from me.  Biking?  Well, since I've only been spinning I won't know until I hit the road and our last Mad Spin Class is this week.  I've been riding a lot at lunch time, trying for higher cadence, but I'm still so slow trying to keep in 90+.  Patience... patience.  I know.

I'm going to start hill training this week.  I've never run the Kemah bridge, so this weekend it starts. Plan is to take in a few miles first, then nice and easy, take the bridge over and back.  Kemah is just 2 months away! 

In other news, Cassie joined the "Sails" developmental team at TFC.  They meet 3 hours a week and she is absolutely loving it.  It's a joy to see her so happy swimming!  Everything else she's ever done... the dancing, gymnastics, karate, pales in comparison.  Just when you think she might be struggling, swimming her 50m, her head comes out of the water and she's grinning from ear-to-ear.  She's a hell of a "no breather" too!  She blows the other kiddos away, making it halfway across the pool, most of the time.  What tickled me though was when she said, "Mommy I like to go last, so I can win."  Hmmm, she's only slightly competitive.  LOL 

I sure hope she continues to enjoy it. Yesterday was a tough day for her to pay attention for some reason. The coach had to keep telling her to look at him while listening.  She didn't get all pouty and sad like she normally does when she thinks she disappointed someone.  Instead, she just did what he asked.  Later, towards the end of the session, she started dragging her arms across the water on her freestyle stroke.  He kept correcting her, staying on her.  I thought for sure she was going to get upset, but she didn't!  She made the correction and started swimming so much better.  I was sure to praise her and tell her how much the corrections help her learn and she said she was, "...always going to do what the coach says because it makes me faster."  LOL






0 comments:

Post a Comment