-->

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Going Paleo

Breakfast:
Eggs, tomatoes, green
chilis & ground turkey w/
roasted root veggies to
replace my oatmeal!
It goes without saying a large part of my challenges are weight related.  It holds me back in the head and holds me back physically.  I spend a large amount of time researching, reading and seeing doctors to learn to manage my issues.  It can get overwhelming because many professionals have quite steadfast opinions of what is a best practice, either based on their education or experiences. Every one of them sound like they know what they talk about... every one of them, so how can you choose?

I've tried many different "balances" of eating, from low-carb, good carbs, to just a balance of "clean" eating.  Nothing seems to change.  My thyroid numbers stay the same, yet I'm still symptomatic.  It's quiet disheartening in general, but even more so coming into training season again.

So I'm trying a new approach.  Something called Paleo.  Read about it here at Robb Wolf | The Paleo Solution. Or here Paleo Diet Lifestyle.  I tend more towards Robb Wolf's site -- I just like the research he does behind his answers.  It's pretty big in the Crossfit world too.  

Why am I trying something new?  Because everything I've done before is not getting results and I don't want to be dubbed crazy!  I'm tired of sticking with the same thing because everyone says that's what I should be doing.

Broccoli, baby carrots
Shrimp, 1/2 Sweet Potato
green beans & some avocado
I was never that way before.  I know better.  I know I need to figure out what works for me.

I know portion control (not an issue with my altered guts anyway).  I know what to eat, what not to eat.  I know HOW to eat, I know good choices from bad choices.  Clearly my issues are hormonal, and since I can't fight hormones with medication and win, or change my genetics.  I have to find a way to work with my body and not fight it.

The diet focuses on lean proteins, carbs from fruits and veggies, healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, and coconut oil.  I will remove the foods that fight my health issues (grains, legumes, and dairy) while increasing vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

My Chiro has been suggesting this approach for a long time... she's a big advocate of living this way. And truly, when I'm on point with my diet, I'm not terribly far off from some of the fundamentals.  I'm just going to take things a step further.  Hubs s along with me for the ride, but is going to continue doing some of the things he knows works for him.

Grilled Chicken w/mashed
Avocado, Spinch w/a few
baby carrots and 1/2 apple. 
So I'm on Day 3 and I'm still reading up on everything... especially the customization for certain goals (like weight loss) and the approach to take for endurance athletes.  What have I noticed so far?  Better sleep and easier to wake up in the morning.  I'm down a few pounds already (water weight).  I had Masters swim this morning and it was the first time in months I felt like I had something to push with.  I was kinda bummed I had to leave early this morning!  However right now, I just finished lunch about 30 minutes ago, and I'm feeling a little light-headed.  Day 3 of no grains -- I read one resource where they said 2 or 3 days in your body starts to "withdraw" from the consumption of grains. 

One of the biggest changes I've had to make was eliminating Dairy.  Dairy is great for growing kiddos, but the key is "growing".  Adults aren't growing any more; we're already grown!  Dairy promotes insulin response.  Since I used to be a full blown Type 2 Diabetic, who knows if I'm having trouble with Insulin?  My numbers look good on blood draws, but that's just a snapshot of what's  going on in the body at that particular moment not my body's response to intake of higher glycemic indexed foods. I've given up all dairy and cheese, except for half-n-half (for my coffee).  If I'm going to have any Dairy, cream is the least processed and is a better choice than milk.  Maybe one day I can let it go, but not today.  :)

So here's hoping that this new approach will make my body happy. 




5 comments:

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Wish you the very best with it. I also have thyroid issues amongst other things. It sucks when you work hard and the weight won't come off! I know another lady who has had trouble losing weight and has thyroid issues and she's lot 20 pounds since November and got to reduce her thyroid meds! So there is hope!

I'm eating low carb. Reduced dairy but I don't know how to live without cheese. LOL

Christy said...

Looking forward to your posts!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

The blogger I was telling you about (and her post about lowering the meds) is here:
http://doingaone-eighty.blogspot.com/2012/01/tuesday-ten_31.html

Her name is Helen.

Mike said...

Looking forward to your blogging about it. Reading other people's blogs, it's rough for the first week then gets much better. By week four, eating your old diet will make you sick (at least that is what I read).

TX Runner Mom said...

Looking forward to reading more about how the Paleo diet works for you. I've been hearing about it more and more!

Post a Comment