-->

Friday, December 23, 2011

Quite a Year!

So this past year has been a very full year.  I'm looking forward to 2012 and shorter distances.  I came off of 2010 with finishing my first 70.3 at Redman (not knowing I was critically Anemic), then did 2 more in 2011.  Suffice it to say, I think I've got the 70.3 bug out of my system (for the moment) and next year's focus is to get things balanced and right with my body so I can get leaner.

For next year, I really want to make the most of my qualifying spot for the 5150 Hy-vee Nationals.  I know the perfect storm had to happen to actually place, but hey, I had to START and FINISH to make it, right? I'm also going to work on not having to explain how I placed -- I had a good race, that's how I placed.  Right?  right!

Race reports!
JAN - Houston Chevron Marathon (lost the lottery *sniff-sniff*)
JAN - USA Fit Half Marathon
APR - Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon (Relay - Swim)
APR - Ironman Lonestar 70.3 
APR - Kona Eastside 2nd Athena
JUN - Tejas Triathlon (Relay - Swim)
JUN - FunFest by the Bay 10K 
JUN -  Y Freedom  In memory of Elysha :)
AUG - River Cities Triathlon
AUG - Clear Lake International
SEP -  Redman 70.3
OCT - Galveston 5150 PR 3rd Athena (Qualified for Nationals!)
NOV - OilMan Texas 70.3 DNS - Sick  :(
NOV - Turkey Day 10K PR!
DEC - RunGil 13.1  PR!

In reading the reports:
  • I got a monkey off my back (finally) with a sub 3 hour 13.1 time and PR'd later in the year (so I know it wasn't a fluke!).  
  • I conquered a swim I was scared of.  Having a boat drop your ass off in the middle of the bay and swimming back, for some reason it freaked me out!
  • Brought some hardware home :)
  • Bettered my 70.3 time by 40 minutes, and then again by 90 minutes later in the year.  
  • I challenged myself to swim faster and started Masters 
  • Stayed the course with running to improve
  • I've had a more fun; Yeah! 
  • DNS'd my first race; Boo!  Whatever.
  • I've had a lot of fruit... from a lot of labor. :)

I walk away from this year feeling a little more confident than in the past.  I no longer worry about disappointing others.  I'm learning that in actuality, many of us have more mediocre or bad races than good and that's just the reality.  You can train well, know you're ready, and have some random thing take ownership of your day and blow it all.  In the end you can only control the factors in your control.  I've learned to let go of what I can't control and just play the cards I'm dealt.  Learning to anticipate the unexpected is a larger part of training than I've acknowledged in the past. 

And while limitations only exist if you let them, I've also accepted that my path to a 140.6 is not a race in it of its self.  I am steadfast in my idea to take on a 140.6 when I can reasonably ("reasonable" relative to doing a 140.6!)  enjoy it.  Could I struggle through one?  I bet I could, I am that hard-headed,  but I don't want to "live the dream" from the time the gun goes off.  I don't want to race with a gun to my head, trying to beat cut-offs the entire day.  I want to be as comfortable as possible, knowing I'll make the cutoff on all the events.  If that means I'm nearly 50 before I do, than so be it.  My victory will be all the sweeter because of the wait.

"If you wanna fly you have to give up that shit that weighs you down." This will be the focus of the coming year.  I know what my *issues* are, and I need to cope with them more aggressively.

Oh, and it goes without saying that I'm grateful to my family and both my coaches for their seemingly endless patience with me on all levels.  I'm also grateful for their friendship, support and maintaining my belief that anything is possible.  The seemingly impossible just might take a little longer. :)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Donna! What a wonderful year you've had, and I completely applaud and agree with your take on a full Ironman. I have been sitting here beating myself over not signing for one yet...and I like your thoughts on this!
Best wishes for another wonderful year and all your new goals!
Cheers!

Mike said...

Wow, what a busy year you had! I like your "sane" approach to the timing of your full :-).

Post a Comment