-->

Monday, November 14, 2011

Revised Schedule

So back to that whole thing about doing things that are good for me, and not letting my self get swept up in mine or someone else's, planning/post-race euphoria and signing up for some race I have no business doing... yet.  :)

I've been contemplating (again) my 2012 race schedule and I have decided to skip a 70.3 distance this year.

I knew I didn't want to do Galveston again, so I was leaning towards doing NOLA 70.3, as the location and point-to-point run sounded kinda cool and different.  Then I thought a little more seriously about it -- and you know, another 70.3 is just not right for me... this year.

I have got to get the medical stuff under control.  I think the constant stress of training for long distance, isn't helping my efforts.  As it is, I'm a late-in-life-fluffy-triathlete who's now done three 70.3 distances in a row, with little downtime (if there is such a thing) between each.  Doing this distance is hard enough on the body, but add to that carrying so much extra weight takes it's toll and I realize that.

Don't get me wrong.  I want to do one -- I ALWAYS want to do one.  But I know the smarter choice, the choice that will help achieve my ultimate goal, is to forgo this year and work on my medical challenges that are making dropping the pounds so stinkin' difficult. 

It's all good and I'm feeling confident in my decision.  So here's the plan:

So here's the list!

Run Season:
Turkey Day 10K
RunGirl 13.1
Texas Half Marathon (Woodlands)
Houston Aramco Half Marathon

Triathlon:
HITS Corpus - Olympic (February)
Kemah - Olympic (April)
Sylvan Beach - Longer than a sprint, shorter than Olympic (June)
Bridgeland - Sprint (August)
Hy-Vee 5150 Nationals (definitely an "A" Race) (September)
Houston - Olympic (September)

With a stroke of luck (and all the fast 40+ Athenas staying home in bed or racing relay), I qualified for the 5150 Nationals.  I know in the real world, this doesn't happen all the time.  Truly.  I mean this is a stroke of being at the right place at the right time and being able to start and finish a race. 

There's like 3 races in one at Hy-Vee, including a pro race.  I think it could be a great, fun weekend to watch and race.  So what that it's in Des Moines Iowa!  It will definitely be Fall there September 2nd, so I'm up for it.

My biggest goal for next year is to kill my Galveston 5150 time of 3:38 by 15 minutes or more.


I want to swim 1.5 K in 35 minutes or better
I want to bike 24.8 miles under 1:23 or better
I want to run my 10K in 1:19 or better

So that's that.  I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm hopeful that with the half marathon training this winter, my running will continue to improve.  This Saturday was my first long run where I actually ran long, slow, easy AND kept my heart rate down.  That's a major deal for me.  I'm taking it as a definite sign that my sweltering summer of training paid off somewhere! 

Next year will also include some spectating at Galveston 70.3, Ironman Texas and Redman (where my training buddy is finally going to get to do his first 140.6 race!).  It's gonna be a good year.

Oh!  I also started Crossfit.  Just to get some strength training back to my routine during the off season, in hopes that the good hormones from the strength training will counteract some of that bad hormonal stuff happening inside me.  I went for my first on ramp session after my long run on Saturday and I am still sore.  It's just crazy!

That's it for now... sure seems like enough.



2 comments:

Christy said...

I think that sounds wonderful. I've kind of changed up what I'm going to be doing. 2012 is all dedicated to my friend that is battling ovarian cancer. Her daughter and I are going to do any triathlon/duathlon as a team and then I will be doing a lot of running type events. I haven't decided if I'm going to do Redman solo or as a team yet.

I too want to drop some pounds.....so in 2013 when I do my first full ironman I'm where I want to be!

Looking forward to a great year next year!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

You always inspire me. I'm constantly amazed at the things you do. Wow!

I'm on the fluffy side. Trying to remedy that but it's not easy with thyroid and insulin issues. But it can be done! :)

Keep on rocking those races. I'll be at the RunGirl for my first half marathon.

Post a Comment