-->

Monday, August 29, 2011

Friday Night Banquet with Dave Scott

Me & Dave Scott!
It's no secret, that to start, my head really wasn't in the game for CLI.  I admit as the race drew closer, I was feeling more positive.  My ITB knee pain was looming over my head and I was a little worried.  I knew I was going to try to get into see Dr. T. to help get some relief, so I was at least hopeful.

I saw my coach at Masters Friday morning, where I had a micro-mini bike/swim/run brick.  After that little challenge, I knew my ITB was going to be an issue for Saturday's race.  I also knew I had to get in to see Dr. T.  I was just hoping she could take me.

I told MC about the pain and we went over my plan.  I really felt good about the race plan and the race... all except for my stupid ITB.  I headed to work and immediately left a message for Dr. T. -- turned out she was on vacation but came in for a couple hours to take care of the 4 of us that called her!  She's super!  She said, "I might be able to let 1 person go, but I can't do that to 4 athletes."  Needless to say, I was grateful! 

I canceled a different Dr. appointment, because I have priorities, you know?  Then rushed from work to see Dr. T.   By then it was time to get to the race hotel.  I was volunteering at packet pickup, then had the banquet at 6:30, where I was also helping.  My first run-in with Dave Scott was at packet pickup; he was there, borrowing a bike from a local bike shop and getting fit on it.  Nothing like riding a brand-new, unfit bike on race day! I was like the paparazzi and snapped an unsuspecting and unclear photo of him -- not even worth posting. LOL

Truly I thought the talk would be a repeat of River Cities in 2010, in that he'd share the same stories.  Nope.  It was another great, motivational speech!  He shared with the athletes ways to have a better race day experience and what to do when you're struggling to do better.  So much of it made sense, and not to swell MC's head, but much of it sounded like what he might tell me on a given day.  Since MC was going to be out of town supporting his brother at IMKY, he was sending me texts, I told him I have Dave Scott here to take his place.  LOL

I did get to have some one-on-one conversations with Dave.  We talked about River Cities last year, how there is no way possible remember every athlete he's ever encounters that says, "Yeah, don't you remember me from "X" race?"  I told him it's like saying, "Do you know my friend, they work at NAAS?"  here.  We also discussed the edible viability of some kind of chicken-in-sauce thing on the buffet that was passing as a protein source.  A few good laughs.  I also appreciated the fact he took  time to actually ask people their name when he was in conversation with them.  At least for that night, he'd remember those he spoke with.  Though later you'll see why I'm certain he won't forget our entire table for a while.

In short, if I wasn't ready to race before, I was ready to go after his speech. There were a couple of highlights that made me laugh or were worth remembering:
  • His son told him if he didn't do the 10K in < 40 minutes, not to come home to Boulder, CO.  Dave did it in 41:56... so I wonder if he went home?  :)
  • He talked about how back before triathlons were cool guys used to race in Speedos.  Of course that warranted a groan from MOST of the crowd.  My friend Kathleen, however, in a just-loud-enough-to-hear voice, replied "Darn!"  Dave heard her, as did the whole room, and everyone laughed.  Kathleen is a self-proclaimed number 1 fan of Dave Scott, and I believe it.  I wouldn't challenge her for one second!  And that's why he'll remember everyone at our table for the rest of the weekend!  On to more serious stuff....
  • On the swim, concentrate on blowing bubbles out long. The longer you blow bubbles the more oxygen you can take in.  Get relaxed and get your breathing pattern going; that's key to a strong swim.
  • Don't settle for complacency on the swim.  We get out the the mix, then spread out and it's easy to lose focus and get complacent.  Get relaxed, yes, but once your breathing is going, take risk -- go harder, turn your arms over faster and kick! 
  • On the bike hydrate every 8 - 12 minutes... every 15 minutes isn't really good enough in this weather because we never take in as much as we think, so take small, frequent sips.  Let your HR come down and start nutrition on your bike after HR settles, about 10 minutes into your ride.
  • When you're out there riding long and solo, remember to recall the things that bring you joy about triathlon.  
  • On the run the heat is going to be a challenge.  He shared his mantra with us:  "Do what I can do in this moment."  This was something a sports psychologist shared with him when he decided to try a come back in the late 90's.  "Do what you can do in this moment" proved to be my mantra for my race.  More on that later. 
  • Lastly, Dave told a story of how after he won Kona, I forget the year, he couldn't sleep.  Though every piece of his body was spent, he still went down towards the Finish to reflect.  He said it was early morning and he was just milling around.  As he got closer to the street he saw 2 men with race numbers coming towards the Finish.  As the men drew near they saw Dave; they recognized him and had heard he won the race that day.  They actually thought Dave came down to run them in!  Dave thought for certain they couldn't be IM athletes, but they were!  For that moment they were the best of friends, latched arms and essentially dragged a completely and physically spent Ironman champion with them across the Finish.  Back then there were no cut off times, I think Dave said the guys had been racing for 23 or 24 hours.  After the banquet we were talking and I asked him if he would meet me close to the finish at tomorrow's race and run me in like he did for those guys.  He said "Uh, No, but I'll buy you a beer at the Finish."  LOL
There was lots more, but those were the main things I walked away with. 

The--en, The next day I arrived at transition for the race, and guess who was racked just 6 bikes away from me?!?  Yep. Dave Scott.  So when I saw Kathleen, his biggest fan, was volunteering in transition, I hat to tell her and she came screaming over -- quite literally, too.  Thank goodness he wasn't there yet; he would have thought she was completely creepy the way she was mauling his bike.  It is so funny funny how this grown woman gets giddy s a school girl when he is around.  You can't help but laugh.

Not two minutes later Dave comes down with 2 little convenience store plastic bags to setup his transition.  There were only a few of us at the rack.  He was hilarious, acting like he didn't know how to setup his transition area.  I commented on how I brought a backpack big enough to hike up Everest, and he comes down with 2 little convenience store bags?  He laughed.  I let him do his thing... by now athletes realized he was there and they were just buzzing around trying to get pictures and a chit-chat with him.

When he left the rack to go wait for the race start, he patted me on the back and said "Have a good race, Donna!"  I was a little stunned and just said, "Thanks!  I will."  I didn't say "I'm gonna try."  I said, "I will." He remembered me.  Me?  Even with pulled back hair and in a sausage skin of Lycra.  LOL

Race report to come... 

2 comments:

saroy said...

Very cool!!

Christy said...

Awesome! Hey I haven't forgot about your file. I apparently don't have even half of the route. So I will see if someone else does. Otherwise I am riding/running it this weekend!

Post a Comment