-->

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Signs of Progress and PR's

Well, it's going to be official tomorrow, my Husband is going to start training with my coaches as well.  3 triathletes in one household requires a lot of logistical planning.  Laundry might not get done timely, the grass might not be perfectly manicured, and the kiddo might be tired and crabby, but the PR's and firsts will abount from this family!  I see lots of fun this Summer. :)

So this morning called for an extra-early start because Hubs had decided to take the coaches up on their open invite "crazy brick."   They were doing a 6 mile loop over and back on the Fred Hartman Bridge, riding 2 hours, then running the bridge again.  The bridge doesn't look that steep in the picture, but trust me, it's pure insanity.  LOL

I did not have the brick on my schedule since I'm relaying Tejas Triathlon tomorrow.  I'm the swimmer on the team, but I have been directly to take a loop on the run course after my swim as well.  I don't get off that easy.  It's all good. 

Anyway, this morning's run was a good one.  Hubs had to leave by 5:15am, so I had to get my hour run in before!  3:50am I was up and out the door by 4:15.  I didn't eat or drink anything before I left.  Probbly not the smartest, but I've had some GI issues this week and didn't want to risk trouble.  In fact, I kept to loops close to home for that reason.  So, we're essentially starting over.  I've always ran with walk intervals, but the one thing I want to do for my next 70.3 is run without a fuel belt.  I just want to carry a water bottle... something small.  To do that, I have to get from aid station to aid station more efficiently and I can't sacrifice dehydration.  In the two 70.3 events I've done, I've ditched my fuel belt off at the 10k mark in the half marathon; by that point I'm just done with it.  It's uncomfortable and I hate wearing it.  So that's my goal -- run the half without a fuel belt AND improve my time. :)

So hit the road this morning for a 4.3 mile run.  I walked for about 10 seconds at about 2.5 miles in just to make a hairpin turn and adjust my shorts.  After than, my coach was driving down the road and he stopped me to chat.. probably less than a minute.  In any case, outside of that I ran the entire time.  My overall pace was 13:04, with two of the miles sub 13!  That's a PR for me, for 4 miles.  It leaves me feeling hopeful that even with the heat I might still be able to improve.  :)

Don't get me wrong, I think scheduled walk breaks are important on long-distance runs and I believe in them wholly.  Now if I was only doing Sprints or trying to place in every race I was doing, I might feel differently, but I'm not.  I just want to improve upon my last performance.  And really, starting to run at 40+ years old, dishes out a beating to my body.  Those little walk breaks help my body from the constant pounding and stretch out my ability to run longer before I am overome with fatigue.  It works for me.  Everyone is different.

I love small victories.  :)

3 comments:

silken said...

I like the built in walk breaks for longer runs too. I wish I was faster but I can go so much father with those short walks built in, and I just feel better when I include those. good luck w/ your crazy schedule!

saroy said...

I try to run the whole thing for anything under 10K, but for long runs and long races, I always take walk breaks. Even if they don't help my physically, they help me mentally!

Christy said...

Sounds great to me! In fact this weekend I had to take some walk breaks during the run portion of one of my races. It worked mentally for me even if my time was slower!!!

Keep up the great work!!

Post a Comment