-->

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blink and a Month is Gone!

Time sure does fly... having fun or not.

So there's a bunch of stuff going on.  Lots of training... Training for the whole family!

On the family front we didn't do a whole lot on Spring Break because Mommy and Daddy AND Cassie were all training.  We did escape Houston on Friday and took a trip to Seaworld San Antonio to do something special.  We couldn't have Cass going back to school without something to write about when they do the obligatory "What I Did Over Spring Break" composition.  The trip was fast and furious, but we still had some special moments.  So now, in addition to wanting to be a swim coach, she now wants to work at Seaworld and swim with and train the dolphins and whales. Good dreams.

So our tri club started a youth program and Cassie is participating!  She amazes me every practice.  I knew she was doing well with her swimming, but only to the extent that she could swim a 25 foot length unassisted.  She's now swimming 300-500 every tri training session with her NextGen group.  She does have to rest from time-to-time, but she hangs tough.  Plus they bike and run also in the same session and she's loving every minute of it.  I'll have to post some pictures.

As for my knee it's doing well.  I'm glad I didn't do the Mardi Gras half.  That might have been the end for my knee.  Still a little worried about my run for Ironman Lonestar 70.3, but I'm thinking it can't possibly be worse than my run for Redman.  My Swim and bike are really coming along well, I think, with some extra swimming and biking sessions coach added.  I'm feeling pretty good about the race.

On the medical front, I've pretty much wrote off my Endo.  With much respect to him, because he found the problem when others didnt, Doc Brown is just overwhelmed right now and has no time for patients who need to discuss alternatives.  I waited 2 hours to see him on my last visit to talk to him for 4.5 minutes.  He was clearly rushed and had no time to entertain my conversation of alternative treatment protocols.  I just said thanks and left.

I visited with Doc W. and he wants me to get a second opinion, so I met with Dr. B.  We hit it off right away and she knows where I'm coming from.  The great thing is she is completely open to all kinds of treatment and does Armour Thyroid.  She's also on my benefits, so that's a lot of good news.  I had all sorts of bloodwork done and I go back to see her the end of the month for an assessment and treatment plan.  I'm excited.

Meanwhile, back at the Medical ranch, my Iron is refusing to come up. Where a healthy person's stores I was going to try again by double supplementing, but the more I thought about it, and the fact that the additional supplements didn't really do much before, I changed my mind and went for the infusion.  The process was pretty easy and really more depressing than anything else. Depressing because you're being treated in a room with a bunch of older folks and Cancer survivors.  Made me grateful for all that I can do.  I haven't felt any immediate improvement, but it takes 4-6 weeks for the bone marrow to efficiently transport it through your body.  4 weeks will be upon me just in time for Lonestar!  Every little bit that will help me feel better and more healthy, is a good thing!

Darren's swimming is coming along and I'm proud of him for sticking it out.  Training is so funny with how it can make you feel some days.  There's just going to be days where you feel like quitting and they might butt-up against a day where you feel like a complete rock star, but all of the roller coaster is necessary.  For me, training isn't complete with at least 1 freakout about a month before the race.  I think I had mine a couple weeks ago on my long bike, but you never know.

My next event is my Olympic relay for the Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon.  I'm doing the Swim.  The boat takes you out to the bay and drops you off and you have to swim back.  It was pretty rough last year and even some of the most experienced swimmers came out of the water puking multiple times.  Yeah!  Give me some of that!!!  It scares me, but that's why I'm doing it!

The following weekend is Ironman Lonestar 70.3  Just 19 days away!!!

What else?  OH! My Bike!  Hubs has been helping me pimp my ride.  The one and really only thing I hated about my bike was the light blue accents.  I could get past it because the bike is a good fit for me.  It's not always about the color (yes, I've practiced saying that to myself).  To my surprise, one of my service guys at Bike Barn does custom paint, so I found a hook up.  Stay tuned for before and after pics!  The paints done.  Just waiting for my custom wheels to be finished!  4 words.... Pink Chris King Hubs.  :)

2 comments:

silken said...

I tell myself that about my bike all the time....it's not about the color (mine's purple and white-I'd much rather have blue!)

Anonymous said...

Yyour daughter is so cute. I love her bike and that program!

I'm glad that you found a new doctor. It is so frustrating not to feel well and have a doctor not want to try other options!
Sharla ( google wouldn't load)

Post a Comment