-->

Friday, December 17, 2010

Reverb10 - Lesson Learned


December 17th
Prompt: Lesson learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?
I think the most valuable thing I learned is to trust my gut and be persistent.

This pertains, in particular, to my thyroid challenges.  I've always felt like something was off in spite of docs telling me that nothing is wrong, "your TSH levels are fine."  Even before choosing to have RNY.

When things changed drastically in year 4 post-RNY, I didn't give up and worked with my PCP, who sent me to a new Endo who quickly found a problem by doing a TRH test.  Winner-Winner!  We  have a new hypothyroid patient.  Let's give you Levoxyl.

While under treatment you want to believe you are feeling better.  You get tired of not feeling well, and you definitely get tired of having to answer "I've been better", every time someone asks you what's wrong.  The reality is generally different.  Some days you feel better than others and the most you can hope for is just a couple days in a row where you don't feel like you're in a fog, or the scale jumps up 8 lbs. worth of water weight and jacks with your mind. 

Even after my Thyroid stuff was made numerically under control, there were things that still weren't right.  I persisted and told the doc my symptoms and it turned out I stopped converting T4 to T3.  Let's add another med.  Welcome Cytomel.

Nope.  Still don't feel better. Want to though. Want to desperately.

Persisteted and went back to the doc, "something is still not right."  We talk, he agrees.  We run blood work.  Welcome Hyperprolactinemia... all the glory of pregnancy hormones, without the miracle of life inside me.  Seriously.  Think about it.  It ain't fun.  Hello, Dostinex... you'll make me feel crappy, but maybe bring some balance to my hormonal levels.

I'm at the point again.  Things are still off.  If the last year has taught me anything it's to be persistent and to follow my gut.  Doctors are awesome, but they don't always hear everything or are open to everything.  With all due respect to them and their education, it does me more justice to try and educate myself a bit.

Each time I've stuck with my gut, we get closer to an answer.  I need to keep that in mind as I press forward to get everything resolved, because frankly it's not. 

For the coming year I need to practice patience and persistence.  Continue looking for new possibilities for the issues I'm dealing with.  Have the courage to speak up and/or move forward, even though it might not be the most popular of opinion or change.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Reverb10 challenges you to “reflect on your year and manifest what’s next.” Join!

1 comments:

Buttsy said...

Hi again, hey this post reads like a doctors note there are so many drug names and abbreviations. I bought two cool picture frames today and they would suit you, one is about Courage and one is about Dreams, they are for Christmas presents (but I like them too much to give them away at the moment)....lol....Having the courage to speak up to doctors is important as they definately dont know it all as basically there is too much to know!

Post a Comment