-->

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Junonia Aquasport Crossback Tank Swimsuit

 

I've been meaning to write this review for a while now.  However I thought it only fair to swim in it more than just once to really offer my opinion on the swimsuit.  I will say I heard a lot about this suit from other plus sized athletes, but I kept putting it off because there were always other things I needed more.  Eventually my Speedos died and I had to replace two of them.

Just FYI, I  purchased this swimsuit, so this is an unsolicited review.  I have a genuine interest in helping other plus sized athletes find sport/training apparel that fits well.  Clothing that makes us feel confident and helps us perform our best.  That's the reason I share the info here. 

The pictures above were snipped from Junonia's website.  Hope they don't mind!

On their website they describe the suit with the following: "Cross-strap design creates a unique cut-out back for easy-moving style. Front shelf bra for shaping and support. Our brand new, quick-drying AquaSport™ fabric is a near-perfect option for all water activities, from swimming laps at the pool to floating around at the lake. With 50+ UPF (the highest possible rating) and maximum chlorine- and fade-resistance, this comfy, durable suit is specially engineered with no Spandex for long-lasting stretchability. 47% P.B.T. Polyester/53% Polyester. Hand wash."

I found the suit to fit very comfortably through a half dozen swims.  I used the size chart and bought the suit by measurements. The fit was nice, but a little small in the bust, contrary to the published measurements.

What I loved about this suit was it actually had a high neck!  I have no idea why Speedo and Tyr can't make a technical plus-size swimsuit with a high neck.  I'm tired of scooping half the water of the pool into my suit on one lap!  Thanks Junonia for that feature!

The cut out for the legs are modest.  If you like more of a contemporary fit, this probably isn't for you.  I'm keeping it real when I say, that since my lower stomach is loose skin and it hangs, I appreciate the conservative leg.  It covers everything and I don't fear it coming out from hiding. :)

Flexibility and range of motion in the suit felt no different than other reputable technical suits.  

Where it differs greatly is the supportive fit.  For the first time, a suit that really takes care of the girls!  That probably has something to do with the high neck and the functional shelf bra.  I'm a D cup and it kept me in place just fine.  

It's not just high neck and bra, the whole suit feels supportive.  The material is 100% polyester like other technical suits, but it's clearly heavier duty and made to last.  Which is great because for the $99.95 price tag, I want a suit to last. 

I say this suit is a great training suit.  However, because the polyester isn't finished super-smooth like other tech suits, if you're a super fast swimmer, you might experience some drag.  I don't swim fast enough to notice ;-)   If you're a age grouper/weekend race warrior or a diva of water aerobics, this is a great suit you can feel comfortable in and confident wearing.

I give the suit 4.75 of 5 stars, only because the bust seem a little small vs. the size chart measurements.  Of course that helps keep everything in place.  :)

Otherwise, great service as usual from Junonia.









1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree--now if only Junonia would STOCK the suit so that we could buy it in the sizes we want!

Post a Comment