-->

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Food Journal for 11/1 and "I made it!" Recipe

I had to get to work super-early today, so I didn't do my normal b'fast.  I've been trying to cut the fat (a little) for breakfast by cutting down on the amount of half-and-half I use.  I love the creamy, rich goodness... but you know what they say about too much of a good thing.  I've cut it down to 2 measured Tablespoons, by adding milk too.  I haven't found the right balance yet, but it's made me cut down on my coffee... all except my Starbucks trip this morning... Nonfat milk, no whip and just 2 pumps of gingerbread in my grande latte. 

For breakfast I had som 0% Fage mixed with pumpkin puree.  I added a little cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg.  I would normally add vanilla too, but I was out.  It was still awesome.  Pumpkin is great for you.. and anything that tastes similar to pumpkin pie filling, can't be that bad, right?

My favorite part of breakfast are the breakfast bars I made.  This recipe is yummy.  It's old fashioned oats, nuts and cranberries (I was short cranberries in this pictured batch).  The recipe calls for condensed milk, I use Fat Free.  These are pretty filling, and generally half of a full size serving will do. Today I ate the whole thing, s-l-o-w-l-y, since I know I have a 45 minute run today and will need the carbs.  The recipe is below.  They are so quick and easy to make too, it's ridiculous.  I would like to find a substitute for condensed milk, to cut down the sugar content.  1 can of condensed milk spread across 16 - 20 servings isn't terrible, but a substitute would be better. These don't seem to bother me, perhaps because of the nut protein.  My breakfast bar nutritional content is off, as it's calculated with sweetened coconut, instead of unsweetened. 

Then there is they old South Beach Diet Ricotta Creme (for my evening snack).  I've been craving it lately, for some reason.  I love this creamy ricotta mixture with Vanilla and Cinnamon.  

Breakfast/Energy Bars

Ingredients
1 14-fl-oz can condensed milk (I use Fat- Free)
2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup dried cranberries (I've also used dried cherries and blueberries)
1/2 cup mixed pumpkin seeds, unsalted and hulled
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted and hulled
1 cup almonds

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and oil a 9- x 13-inch baking pan or just use a disposable aluminum foil one.  I've also used a larger pan and made the bars a little thinner.  Like I mentioned, they are quite filling and chunky!

2. Warm the condensed milk in a large pan.

3. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together and add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber spatula to fold and distribute.

4. Spread the mixture into the oiled or foil pan and press down with a spatula or, better still, your hands  to make the surface even. 

5. Bake for 1 hour, remove, and after about 15 minutes, cut into four across and four down, to make 16 meal-size bars

4 comments:

Mae Flowers said...

I have no tried the gingerbread flavorings for coffee yet but I hear they're a must have!

Buttsy said...

Hi Donna, sorry I have been absent for a while but life has been a bit hectic, my parents moved in during July and I have not coped at all and ironically they were to move out three weeks ago and my mother fell and broke her hip and has had three pins put in........anyway I must admit that likfe has been hectic and I am hopefully back to at least keep up with what everyone is doing, love the look of your blog by the way, it is awesome......will chat more later/tomorrow or whenever but for now just wanted to say hi

AroundHarlem.com said...

How did you make the image with the calorie counts?

(first time here)

Donna said...

AroundHarlem... I use Sparkpeople.com to log my food. They have a function that allows you to export your log to Excel. From there I just add some color to make it look nicer and then take a print screen of the image and crop it. Hope that helps!

Post a Comment