-->

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday Thirteen - Career Path Considerations



I enjoy technology, but after 20+ years I'm so burnt out. This case of burnout has lasted for a number of years now, and I always say that after my last layoff, if I didn't find this job and work for such a great place, I would not be doing it. Still, I'm not happy in IT. I'm not getting any younger; I need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. So here's 13 things to consider with regard to a total change in career path.

1) In my 20's I wanted to be an EMT. Seriously.

2) I need to do something where I can help others make a difference in their lives (as trite as that may sound). By making a difference in someone else's life, it will make a difference in mine.

3) I enjoy learning about nutrition and wellness, even though my own biochemistry and metabolism baffle me!

4) I've considered physical therapy, physical therapy assistant or personal trainer.

5) I've considered nutrition - as a dietician

6) I've recently thought about chiropratice wellness; perhaps chiropractor or chiropractic assistant.

7) One thing I've read is that you should find something you can spend hours doing and not have a care, and pursue whatever "that" is.

8) I've thought about something with digital imaging. Making movies from pictures, web design, digital scrapping. I can spend hours at the computer playing with pictures and time just flies.

9) Not sure that I want to work for myself, but the ability to work from home would be a nice plus as it would help with family logistics.

10) I still feel frustration (and get quite sick to my stomach) when I think about how many college credits I lost because I did not matriculate to a full degree (quit 2/3's into my 3rd year) the first time around. It's like starting over. Starting over is bad enough, but starting over at almost 42? It just sounds crazy -- though I know it's not.

11) When I was younger I wanted to be a music teacher with a concentration in voice. After auditioning, I received and turned down a partial scholarship to Westminster Choir College for 2 reasons: 1) Mom pounded my head with the notion that it would be too competitive and because of my weight I wouldn't find work. 2) We just didn't have the money and I thought guidance for the financial side of things (procuring loans and financial aid) would come from my family, and it didn't -- they didn't have a clue; none of them went to college. Eventually I got it together on my own and went to Rutgers, until I quit a few years into it (see number 10).

12) Anything is possible when you put your mind to it. This I really believe. That said, I don't have time to fart around trying to figure out what *it* is, and I don't have the time to make a huge mistep and pursue the wrong path.

13) Logically, I know following a path in technology would be the most practical way to go, since I have 20+ years experience in the field, but I just don't know how happy I'd be. Ugh!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

14 comments:

Hootin' Anni said...

I would love to personally learn more about nutrition and dietitian facts also.

Great post.

My Thursday is childhood photos...a 'then' and 'now'. Come see! Have a great day.

Kim said...

I don't think 42 is too long to pursue something completely different that would make you happy. I would love to find out what that is for me too. 43 and still not a clue.
Have you read Jillian Michael's book "Master Your Metabolism"? Not sure if it will hold any answers for you (I just started it so can not really say for sure if it is helpful but it could be!) but might be worth a read.
Thursday 13 question....if I participate, would my 13 also be about career pathing for this week?

Kim said...

and that would be "I don't think 42 is too OLD"...not long...sheesh!

CountryDew said...

I'm 46 and need a new career, too. It is daunting and I commend you for facing it. I have no clue what I want to do...

http://bluecountrymagic.blogspot.com

Calico Crazy said...

I'm 40 and struggling to find my way career wise. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Calico Contemplations

Lass said...

If you want something that is relatively quick and in high demand, look into sonography. A daughter of a friend of my mom's graduated recently -- she makes pretty decent money, works 3 days a week, and in a few years can set up her own clinic if she likes.

Kaytee said...

It seems like you have many interests that would help you with a new career path. 42 is definitely not too old to start something new! Go for it!!

The Bumbles said...

I'm looking toward a change too - something to do with writing I think. But it would be really hard to walk away from the stability I have now. But after 16 years doing the same thing it gets dull. Whatever you wish you were doing when you're doing what you have to do - that's what you want to find a way to make a living doing.

chrisseascorner said...

Happiness in what you do is a definite must! Currently unemployed, I am debating going back to school at 41 1/2 too! It's not surprizing & I think it's our generation in general.

Noelle said...

Hi, I like your list! I'm not exactly having career path issues, but I've been looking for a job for a long time now! I mean I know what I want to do, but I live in a rural area, and there's not much here. I did a tt too, it's here: http://lifes-adventures.net
Cheers!

Americanising Desi said...

love ur list :)

13 hardest times

Corrie said...

Dang, Donna, could you please stop reading my mind?? I swear, I have personally said most of the things on this list (including not pursuing a music career because of parental advice).

Let's start a post-WLS consulting business. You train 'em, I'll cook for 'em and yell helpful things like, "Run faster! Ten more pushups!"

Just Jennifer said...

Howdy. Just stopping by from another site I found your link on. Love your bloggy, I've read a few posts and they were good. :) I've added you to my feed reader so I can read you daily.

Thanks for havin' me here, and I hope you have a great weekend. :)

Lynnderful said...

I would love to be a PT Assistant or a personal trainer. There is something so fulfilling that I think would come with either of those.

Post a Comment