-->

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How do you want to be remembered?

"We can be remembered as the generation who chose to drag the arguments of the 20th century to the 21st, who put off our choices, refused to look ahead, failed to keep pace because we defined ourselves by what we were against instead of what we were for. Or, we can be a generation that chooses to see the shoreline beyond the rough waters ahead and comes together to serve the common interest of human beings, and finally give meaning to the promise embedded in the name given to this institution, the UNITED Nations. That is the future America wants."

Barack Obama, President of the United States
From his Frist Address to the United Nations, 9/23/09

That's just one of my favorite snippets from his speech. It might have been intended to address the United Nations, however there is a general life lesson, in it of itself, that any individual regardless of politics, could take from it.

I just spent my lunch hour watching this speech (time well spent, I would add). I thought it was awesome. Decidedly blunt and direct. No mincing of words. Spoke straight about expectations each country should have for themselves, pointing out so many of the struggles we have in common, instead of focusing on the issues of disagreement what breakdown relations. Really, a very good speech



1 comments:

greenchristine said...

I love this man. I respect this man. I am proud that this man is our President. And I'm so hopeful that he will use the right people with the right ideas to actually make positive changes.

Post a Comment