-->

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fab Food Find: One Coconut Water Review

I easily found the One Natural Experience Coconut Water in more than a few places using the store locator on their website. I was also surprised to find that it is available at common grocery stores like Kroger and Fiesta... so really no need to trapse to Whole Foods -- that's a good thing when you live (evidently) on the wrong side of the 4th largest city in the US! They can have 3 Whole Foods in North/Northwest Houston, but none south of downtown??? I digress... that's a whole'nother entry.

I poured myself a glass over ice and took a sip. It is just ever so slightly thicker than water. The taste is nice and palatable. Remember, I tried the plain coconut water, not one of it's fruitier variations. The bottle bills it as a"natural sports drink", and it tastes like what I imagine a sports drink might taste like without fake flavoring.

I do enjoy coconut, but it has never been a favorite. The taste of coconut in this was pleasantly lighter than I expected. I guess because it's called "coconut water" I expected heavy, like coconut milk. In any case, I tasted just a hint of coconut and I think I tasted a teeny-tiny bit of sodium... again, to be expected since it is a "sports drink."

Just to be clear, this is not coconut "flavored" water -- this is from their website. It is an all-natural beverage:

"O.N.E.™ Coconut Water is the water from inside the young green coconut. The water is extracted from the coconut at approximately seven months, before the meat grows. While the meat of the coconut (from which coconut milk and oils are extracted) is rich in fat and protein; O.N.E.™ Coconut Water has no fat. Our Coconut Water is naturally filtered through the dense fibers of the coconut creating a nutritious, pure, and refreshing isotonic beverage.

O.N.E.™ Coconut Water is 100% natural, and has five essential electrolytes (calcium, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium and sodium), more potassium than a banana (15 times the amount of potassium as most sports drinks, without the artificial chemicals found in sports drinks.), no added sugars, no fat, no cholesterol, and no preservatives. Additionally, O.N.E.™ Coconut Water is a naturally sweet, low calorie, hydrating beverage. Due to proprietary manufacturing processes, O.N.E.™ Coconut Water never comes into contact with light or oxygen, maintaining its fresh taste and nutrient content. "

This beverage has 15 g. of sugar per serving from coconut. There is no added sugar -- this is a true "wholesome" food, and sat well with my stomach/pouch. I DID NOT get all swooshy in the head from it, like I do from Gatorade, or other drinks with more than 10 g of sugar.

I appreciate the eco-friendly packaging too; that's nice -- it makes it easy to care about the environment. :)

Overall a great alternative to a typical sports drink or plain ol' water. Though very light and palatable, it's not something I would want to drink all day, every day. To me it's water with a purposeful use.

Worth a try during brick training tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

Kim H. said...

Sounds lovely - I really like coconut flavor... so it might just be right up my alley. :-)

Buttsy said...

Maybe I am just cynical (or because I just had a chem exam yesterday) but it sounds like potentially a lot of additives and chemicals to give it the "coconut flavour".....

Must try and find and Australian Stockist so I can give it a go....love Coconut...it makes you feel like you are at the beach and can smell all of the tanning lotions...lol

Susan said...

I love this stuff! It's actually not "coconut flavoured water" though, it's quite literally the juice that comes from a coconut when you crack it open. Not sure if the other commentors picked up on that. I've had water straight out of a coconut before and it tastes exactly the same as the stuff in the box. I've had really good experiences drinking it after tough workouts and plan on having it during my triathlon to keep my electrolytes up. Too bad it's so expensive!!

Lucy's Sees said...

hi!
Thank you so much for this great review! We'd love to send out some cases :)

lucy@onedrinks.com
www.onedrinks.com

Laurie (GastricGirl.com) said...

I might have to try this. I get so sick of water, and this soudns divine.

Post a Comment