-->

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Donna's Copycat Fuji Apple Chicken Salad Recipe


So I went to Panera Bread the other day and enjoyed their Fuji Apple Chicken salad. I have to say it was yummy. But after I went to the website and read the nutritional content I was less than pleased. A 500+ Calorie salad and a ton of ingredient names in the dressing I can't even pronounce. Although one that I can pronounce is Propelyn Glycol, which is found in lighter fluid. Uh, yeah... I don't think so.

So I took it upon myself to make a similar salad.

Salad Fixin's
Romain Lettuce (they used mixed Spring Greens)
Red Onion
Pecans (just a few per salad)
Tomatoes
Dried Apple Chips
Gorgonzola Cheese (just enough)
Rotisserie Chicken (Breast only No Skin)

Donna's Fake Fuji Apple Dressing (6 servings)
    2 T. Olive Oil
    1 T. White Balsamic Vinegar
    1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 T. Garlic Powder
    1 T. Onion Powder
    1 1/2 t. Dijon Mustard
    3 T. Organic Frozen Applejuice Concentrate

Theirs: 80 Calories 6 g. Fat and full of processed crud.
Mine:
Calories 55.5
  Total Fat 4.5 g
      Saturated Fat 0.6 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g
  Cholesterol 0.0 mg
  Sodium 32.6 mg
  Potassium 36.9 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
      Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
      Sugars 2.1 g
  Protein 0.3 g

11 comments:

Buttsy said...

Sounds delicious - I love tv cooking shows and they always empasise that you should buy good quality oils as they have much more flavour.....Not sure if I have managed to do it yet but I avoid the home brand ones....Fitsy series of Australian Masterchef is on here at the moment and cooking is my new hobby....so will have to try your salad...

smplocher said...

Sounds yummy. Just a few questions... The T of garlic and onion powder seems really quite a bit. I'm confirming you meant T and not tsp - right?

Also, is the calorie count for 1T or 2?

Thanks!

Donna said...

smplocher, I meant Tablespoon -- that's we roll in our house; lots of garlic and onion. :)

Don't fear the garlic powder... we still have friends. :)

There's a bit of vinegar, and the apple cider stuff is pretty tangy, so tough to flavor I think.

Work with what's good to you! :)

Kristal said...

So did the dressing you made (honestly) taste like Panera's? I'm in LOVE with that Salad and if I could make it at home then I could save myself the trip. See, I live (and work) closer to an Atlanta Bread Company...but it's just not the same! And no Fuji Apple Chicken Salad!

Donna said...

Kristal, it does to me. I get more hits on this blog because of this recipe!!! :)

Headacheslayer said...

Thanks, will try your recipe!I LOVE this salad, and added a few craisins to it last time I bought it. That dressing is so awesome....thank you again!

Dawn said...

I made this and found it very bitter. If any one else has the same problem, I adjusted mine a bit and added an extra T olive oil, and then a T of honey and a T of sugar. I also only used 1/4tsp of garlic and 1/4tsp of onion powder, and it's still very garlic-y! Guess it's back to playing with numbers for me!. :)

Marie said...

I haven't made your dressing but I found another recipe that's really good...mix 1/2 cup low fat sour cream, 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate and two tablespoons honey.

Anonymous said...

nice idea, thanks for sharing

our websites are
徵信 and 櫻桃

very welcome to see us...

Anonymous said...

You go Donna! looking forward to trying your recipe.

Cory J. Benson said...

I tried it. Pretty close to Panera. But the garlic and onion was extremely overwhelming for me. I think maybe cutting those down to a teaspoon or less would be better. But thanks for the recipe! I wouldn't have known where to begin!

Post a Comment