-->

Monday, March 02, 2009

Fab Food Find: PureVia



Since being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism I've been reading a lot about Endocrin distruptors. I'm a huge Splenda (Sucralose) user and unfortunately, it's not good for me -- it's a disruptor.

I've tried all different kinds of natural sweeteners, like Stevia and Xylitol, but I can't stand the taste of them. Once company makes Xylitol Plus, which is a combination of Xylitol w/Stevia which turns out to be palatable.


I ran across PureVia at the local grocery store and decided to try it. It comes in 40 and 80 count boxes. Some warehouse stores carry it in even larger quantity. A Sam's Club in my area carries it, so I hope to score some this week.


The biggest thing I use my sweetener in is my coffee. I have to say I was really pleased with the taste and no dirty aftertaste! My secondary use is in my yogurt, and it's super good there too!



The main sweetening ingredient in PureVia is "Reb A". Reb A is the extraction of the sweetest part of the Stevia plant. They blend it with erythritol and isomaltulose. Erythritol is found in some fruits and isomaltulose in honey/sugar cane.

I checked out their FAQ page, and could not find whether or not this product is certified Organic, so I question the sources of erytritol and isolatulose still. I submitted a question and hope they'll answer.

Unlike other sugar substitutes and almost all sugar alcohols, this doesn't give me any gastric upset, and let's be clear, it doesn't make me *toot* either. :) Tastes good. No tooting.. that's a winner for me. :) So far I like it... of course I worry that down the road it will kill me too, along with the host of other sugar substitutes I've tried in my lifetime.

For now I'll enjoy it. :) Give it a try!

2 comments:

Kim H. said...

Interesting - I might have to check that out too.

Melting Mama said...

I have this - I can't decide if this or the Truvia makes me gassy.

Post a Comment