-->

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Testosterone, Thyroids & Fistula! Oh my!!

Okay... first, I can't believe how totally anxious I was about going. I mean seriously, my heart was in my chest.

I weighed in at exactly the same weight I did last February. Uh, that's 10 months, a triathlon, the MS150 and Livestrong Challenge, ago.

We talked. He validated my frustration, for what that's worth (that's a lot to me right now). He knows I'm frustrated -- and to that end, I think he is too. We both want to get to the bottom of things; he wants me to achieve my more than reasonable goals.

He sent me for a shitload of bloodwork. Even the Phlubotomist blinked twice at the 3 pages of reqs. He said it would probably take up to 2 weeks to get anything back, but he said we should know something by Christmas but here's what we're looking at:

1) Thyroid Issues (never dectected before in the past, but possibly asymptomatic)

2) Insuilin Resistance - A state in which your cells are not responding to insulin appropriately, so the sugar in your blood cannot get into your cells. To compensate, your pancreas pumps out more insulin to try to get the sugar out of your blood and into your cells. The hyperinsulinimia (high blood insulin) that results is able to maintain normal blood sugar levels and delay the onset of diabetes.

3) Testosterone Levels

4) A Fistula -- more common in post-ops who smoke or are prone to ulcers, but a possibility still. Essentially sutures opened up and can create alternate paths for food where absorbtion can happen. Often it can go undetected and is found because weight loss has pre-maturely ceased, or significant weight-gain has occurred.

More to come :)

4 comments:

Kim H. said...

My goodness... I go on Thursday morning - wonder what we'll talk about? I had two pages of reqs for my blood work, but you never know if that covers it all. I'm glad that you're feeling better about it - if anyone can help figure it out - it's Superman *oops - I mean Dr. W!

megameggs said...

Dang, what an aggressive doctor. I love that!! I can't wait to hear what you find out.

Courtney said...

I agree...very cool that the doctor is looking at all possibilities. :)

Danyele said...

I hope that you get some answers, dear. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. For me, insulin resistance is a huge factor. I honestly feel that if I wasn't IR due to PCOS, I would weigh 145 and not 185.

Post a Comment