-->

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

On My Birthday....

After all these years, I've finally decided to be kind to myself. At 41 I'm doing things I've never done before and feel better than I ever have. I have a fantastick Husband and beautiful Daughter who love me on both good days and bad. And while my circle of friends is not that big, the ones I have are quality

Slowly I'm coming to terms with the fact that my WLS journey will be long and slow -- unlike many others'. I am slowly realizing the fact I may never get any smaller than a 14/16 but that to be truly healthy and fit is what is important. Hell, from where I was, it's still amazing -- I'm just 5 inches away from a "healthy" size waist!

After sharing the LiveSTRONG pics with some friends, I realize what I see is still not what they see. To be told that they see muscle tone and have an athletic build are good things and I need to recognize that. It doesn't mean that I can't keep moving forward, but I need to appreciate what I've accomplished this far, instead of beating myself over what I am physically not.

So that's my birthday present to me. :o) If you didn't take a peek at the birthday circus I found in my office this morning, see the previous post.

2 comments:

Kim H. said...

I hear you so clearly - we're coming up on my 1 year anniversary from surgery, and I am so dissapointed in the numbers right now... and have a hard time seeing how far I've come. It's hard to even recognize it sometimes! If you figure out how to see yourself differently - pass the secret on to me too!

Courtney said...

Ack! Happy Birthday, D! I got so caught up in Obama fever, I forgot. :( I hope you had a great day!

Post a Comment