-->

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things

In elections past I have always felt like the choice to make was between the lesser of two evils. When Obama hit the scene I really "felt" him. Of course that made me very suspect and I felt some trepidation about how "real" he is. I mean, come on, he's a politician!

Over the course of the campaign I've become more interested and have followed more closely than ever before. I'm certainly no political whiz, but I know what is important to me and my family. I know what I expect of the future for my Daughter. And even in our own home, in our own ways, we're learning that if you've always do what you've done, you'll always get what you got.

So, it's in learning that lesson in real life that I am drawing the courage to put hope in a political team that might just get America back to where it belongs. I believe in the Obama/Biden ticket. I believe in idea of meritocracy; in the idea that if people work hard they should achieve. I've always felt that if people sit idly by and make no contribution to themselves or their community, their right to complain is certainly their right, but to me their words hold little value if they're not doing something to help the cause.

I have been lucky to come across some folks who have met Obama in real life and I have discussed my initial skepticism with them. They shared with me stories and their personal experiences with him and they all say he is as real as he seems. As tree hugging as it may sound, the nominated Democrats are real people, ordinary people, with the drive and determination to do extraordinary things to make America a better place. All they want is for us to respond to their example and take action along side of them.

Up until last night I've been keeping up with the DNC via Internet clips. I made a point to Tivo last night... I'm so glad I did. This is a historical election year.

Michelle Obama was outstanding and eloquent -- and yeah, I lost a tear or two to her speech. Who doesn't want better for their children's future? What an amazing role model she would be as First Lady! Both Hilary and Bill Clinton hit it out of the park with their speeches! A line from Bill Clinton's speech really resonated with me...

"People the world over have always been more impressed by our [the United States] power of example than by the example of power."

That's where we need to be again. That's where we need to be.

I'll be Tivo-ing tonight as well. I love and appreciate the idea of moving the convention to the stadium so that everyone, anyone, can come if they want. I don't think there is a better way to make people feel more involved than to create an opportunity to be a part of the action.

Plus, my Jersey boys are supposed to be there tonight; Bon Jovi and Springsteen. :)

2 comments:

saranade22 said...

I'm totally with you! Thank you for posting about this on your blog... Michelle would be an amazing first lady.

Courtney said...

I totally agree...and while I've always been a Democrat, I truly believe he is the right person for the job...and so do an amusing number of my Republican friends. Definitely a historic time in our lives.

As for Michelle Obama...she is simply amazing! I read one article that even asked if we were putting the right Obama in office (after being blown away by her speech). LOL

Post a Comment