-->

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BodyBugg Overview

So I got my BodyBugg a couple weeks ago. I've been wearing it fairly routinely, but didn't really journal my food that well while I was traveling.

The reason we decided to take the plunge and purchase it was because 1) it was on sales for $199 from $299, and 2) we thought it would help get a more accurate picture of what I was actually consuming and burning. We figure my weight loss stalls because the significantly large deficit creates that ol' "starvation" mode. This tool will help, as best we can given my altered plumbing, to close the gap but still allow me to remain highly active and "fuel" for training more appropriately.

So the idea is, you wear this band that looks similar to an mp3 player on your arm all day. It calculates the calories you actually burn (it's supposed to be fairly accurate). Concurrently, you journal you food. No big deal to me since I do it anyway -- I just had to learn to do it throuhg Apex's website. Apex makes/markets the BodyBugg for 24 Hour Fitness.

The cool thing is that once you create a baseline wearing the band, if you don't want to wear it 24/7. Say you have a special occasion and don't want to wear the band for the 6 hours you're at your cousin's wedding. When you go to upload your data for the day, the application will say "there's no data for this day". "Were you inactive or was your activity level the same as..." and you choose a day for which you do have data for. Most days at work for me are the same, so I really could just get away with wearing it once I leave the office. Right now I'm looking to be as accurate as possible.

Anyway, you journal your food and at the end of the day you upload the calories burned from your BodyBugg arm band to the myapex website. I was impressed at how smoothly it installed and it uploads. Keeps better synchronization than any Blackberry or Palm I've supported! LOL

Once the data is uploaded, you get the following on your "My Results" Page:

A 24 trainer, or one of Apex's coaches can login and set appropriate targets. My trainer and I haven't set any targets yet, but probably will today.




This is the uploaded activity data from the time I get up at 4:30am. You can see where I worked out between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm.



This is my food journal for yesteray. It's a pretty smooth app. I don't miss FitDay, Daily Plate or SparkPeople. It does cache the most popular entries you make, by meal.


This is a total nutritional breakdown.


I believe 24 is still running a special for $199. I think it's a pretty cool tool.

9 comments:

SignGurl said...

I've thought about getting one of these but was turned off by the price. Thanks for the info.

GastricGirl said...

Yes, thanks much for the info.. it sounds great! I may have to save up some money for it. :)

Alex Costa - www.minimizeme.tv said...

It looks interesting but I went to their site and the try to promote the product as the thing that will make you lose weight and that's far from truth.
It will be interesting if you do a review in 3 months and let us know if is worth to buy or not.

Courtney said...

Wow, I'm impressed!

MizFit said...

VERY INTERESTING!

I was encouraged to write about this by my editor BUT they wouldnt give me one to test (or one wholesale) and I couldnt afford, for a column where Im paid less than the cost :), to buy one so I didnt.

thanks for sharing your experience so far!


MizFit

Lawyer Gal 1908 said...

WOW! Thanks for this! I had a Polar F11 which was good tool but this sounds like a better investment! Thanks for the review!

Dan said...

Fantastic review! I bought into the device easily but I could not find screen shots anywhere on the 24hr or Apex site, and the interface is what I really had to be sold on.

Thank you!

The Larsen's said...

Thanks for the info. I have one question that I can't find an answer for regarding the bodybugg. I know you wear it all day and it calculates, however, what do you do when you swim? It's not waterproof from what I read, so how does it calculate your output from swimming?? Please help, this is my only hang-up before purchasing.

Donna said...

Larsens, unfortunately, I never wore it while I swam. I would know the distance and time, therefore I could calculate pace. I've stopped using it, but I believe in the BB's exercise log you can manually enter your swim time/pace and it will calculate everything for you. I use DailyMile.com to log my exercise and it will calculate calorie burn.

Post a Comment