-->

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bye, Bye, Gall Bladder, Bye, Bye!

Okay, it's confirmed. My Gall Bladder has bit the dust. A week ago this past Sunday I went to the ER after having a little grilled hamburger. I had never been in so much pain.

The pain was in my lower right back, so I never suspected my Gall Bladder. The ER did a CT Scan and found sludge in my Gall Bladder.

I contacted my PCP and he, always being the voice of reason, said "no one's taking anyone's Gall Bladder out without the proper tests." So I went yesterday. I failed the HIDAscan miserably.

First, the Boost shake they gave me to drink was lactose free, but it still had 20 grams of sugar. I knew it was going to make me sick -- not to mention the fat content. I asked the tech how long after I ingest the shake do I have to stay on the scanner -- he said, "42 minutes, exactly." I though, okay maybe I can do it without getting sick.

With 18 minutes to go I had a Gall Bladder attack. With 8 minutes to go, I started foaming. I was freakin' the tech out, spitting up the clear foamy goodness that only bypass post-ops get to experience. YUM!

Anyway where my gall bladder's function shoul dhave been -30, mines was +30. This prompted a call from my PCP around 5:30 last night, "Ready to have that gall bladder out?" Whatever you say.

I go see a surgeon tomorrow and hopefuly it will be history shortly. Ironically enough, I think it's been failing for years. This dull back pain, I thought, was always a result of the gym. I even had a nurse tell me that it was, "probably peri-menopause." Now I realize it must have been from the yo-yo dieting in my past, and the wls procedure just exasberated it.

2 comments:

SignGurl said...

I had that same pain for years before WLS and thought it was "fat pain". Now we know.

I hope they are able to schedule it soon. Waiting is horrible and painful.

Hugs!

Kim said...

I was thinking about you on my way home tonight... I was wondering how things went with Dr. W and the tests. Well - at least you're going to be taken care of. From what I hear - gall bladder surgery is really minor, and you'll be back to normal in a couple days.

Post a Comment