-->

Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Year Ago

I can't believe how the time has just flown.

This time last year I was laying on in the hospital, getting ready to say "night-night" for my 8am surgery to begin.

Later today, will be 1 year since I took the first steps out of my hospital bed and put myself on the path to better health. At the same time, one year later, I'll be enjoying a Turkey Day party at my Daughter's daycare, because I won't be secretly embarrassed to be seen by the other parents.

I have my health back, better self-esteem and am able to live my life more closely to how I've always envisioned I should be living it. To no longer be plagued by pain, physical challenges, needing to use the C-Pap or being Diabetic, is plenty enough to be thankful for.

Never mind mentioning (but I will anyway) that I no longer have to pretend with everyone my weight didn't bother or limit me. And while I am an over-achiever by nature (because I always had to work harder to prove myself in light of my obesity), I can still strive for excellence in all that I do, but I not feel like I have to prove myself over, and over, and over again. Initially derived perceptions of me are no longer quite as negative since people no longer see a 347 pound woman.

As much as I have gained from losing, there is still work to be done. I need to work on the head issues and self-esteem issues. I need to remember that my while my weight/body doesn't define who I am, I do deserve to take care of me in the way I take care of those I love.

This will all come one step-at-a-time -- just like the first steps from the recovery bed. It is all necessary for long-term success.

Thanks also to those who support and encourage all of us to be better than we already are.


"There is a voice inside which speaks and says:
"This is the real me!"

William James - (1842-1910) American philosopher and psychologist

4 comments:

SignGurl said...

Oh Donna! You made me cry! I'm so happy for you. Your life has really changed for the better. I'm happy to have been on this journey with you.

Danyele said...

Happy happy surgiversary - you've done an amazing job! I'm so proud of you!

Kim said...

Congratulations on your progress!! You've done amazing, and you inspire me to think about what my anniversary will be like next 11/15!

arielfreak said...

Wishing you a belated Happy Surgiversary!

Post a Comment