-->

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Am I Crazy? I Guess We'll Find Out!

Today I go for my psych evaluation wth Dr. Kolter. Gosh, I hope she doesn't ask me how to spell psych -- I think I spell it differently every time!

I truly have no idea what to expect. I'm confident that I will be "passed", so to speak, but when you know someone is probing you mentally, it's hard to just relax.

It seems that yesterday I stirred up some conflict on a support group board for my Surgeon's pre-op and post op patients. I was simply trying to point out how the delivery of the requirements for how and what you can eat can differ from professional to professional.

1 surgeon says, "Liquids for 2 weeks..." Another says, "Liquids for 6 weeks. " One surgeon says Protein Powder is okay, while another does not want it becoming a crutch. No one is right or wrong -- it's just that professional opinions differ depending on the specialty of that professional.

For someone who is hesitant on asking questions and doing research, it can become very confusing. Especially when folks from other Bariatric programs start coming to the support group meetings, and protocols they were instructed to practice are not the same as was Dr. Naaman requires. Then Dr. Naaman's patients get up in arms wondering, "Why can't we do the same?"

It's just a mess, and I felt bad for pointing out what I did, but it's true nonetheless.

The Bariatric Program Manager called me directly and explained the background. She didn't want me to think that she was making an example out of me or my post. It's just that this recurring topic is inflammatory, and just gets people upset. I can understand that, and I was glad she called -- because I was really feeling bad.

Later, the Dietician posted a long message -- and it was probably just me being hypersensitive, but I felt like she thought I was saying she was contradicting everything we learned at the seminar, but she wasn't; that's not what I meant at all.

As a Dietician by profession, there are things she'd prefer to do/use over other options. And while she didn't say some things outright, she still did infer that "This is the way Dr. Naaman likes to do it... "but" (but you know it was there) there are are better alternatives.

Oh well.

With that I'm out of here, I ought to get some work done. But first.

5 things I'm thankful for:
  • Darren
  • Cassie
  • Having a nice standard of living
  • Having access to healthy resouces
  • Having the most supportive friends in the world!

At least 1 Success from yesterday:
  • I did not have any carbonated beverages
  • I drank 64 oz. of water

1 comments:

Bad, Baaaad Beasley said...

Hi there,

I surfed in via Jen's blog. I want to wish you all of the best with your tests and surgery. I will keep checking in.

:) KT

Post a Comment